San Jose State Adds Megan MacLeod to Leadership Team
SAN JOSE, Calif. – Megan MacLeod has joined San Jose State as the new associate athletic director for marketing, digital media and licensing, the assistant athletic director announced. Scott MacDonald. The research was carried out by Katy Young Staudt of Turnkey ZRG.
“I want to thank Katy and Turnkey for their help in identifying very talented candidates,” MacDonald said. “Megan’s experience aligned with our vision to provide the best gaming experience for our fans and her creative and marketing expertise will build on the momentum SJSU has generated over the past few years.”
MacLeod comes to SJSU with a wealth of experience after three years in southern Alabama and more than 15 years in the industry. At South Alabama, she was a member of the leadership team with direct responsibility for brand advancement and fan engagement. She spent time at Power-5 schools in Illinois, Iowa, and Purdue, as well as football marketing experiences in Memphis, South Florida, and South Alabama.
- MacLeod joined South Alabama after spending the previous three years as Marketing Manager in South Florida. In South Alabama, his duties focused on brand advancement, marketing, creative content and in-game entertainment programming with goals including developing initiatives to increase awareness and footfall, engage students, improve the customer experience and solidify the department’s brand.
- In South Florida, she helped Bulls football attendance increase 20% overall and nearly 40% among college students in 2018, while helping increase men’s basketball attendance by nearly 50% – evidenced by a 90% increase in student attendance – and nearly 20% overall crowd growth at women’s basketball games
- Prior to South Florida, she was in Memphis for over six years where she started with the Tigers as assistant director of marketing and promotions before becoming director of game presentation and promotions.
- MacLeod also served as Deputy Director of Promotions and Publicity at Purdue (2009-10), Deputy Director of Marketing and Promotions at Davidson (2008-09) and started as a graduate sports marketing intern at Iowa ( 2007-08)
- MacLeod graduated from Illinois in 2005 with a degree in Leisure Studies
- She also earned her master’s degree from Illinois in Recreation, Sports, and Tourism from the school the following year.
- MacLeod has been a member of the National Association of Collegiate Marketing Administrators since 2009, serving on several committees within the organization.
What they say about MacLeod…
Ryan Bradley, vice president of strategic communications at the University of Alabama
“Megan has been a rising star in college athletics for some time,” Ryan Bradley said. “Her work ethic is second to none and her passion rubs off on everyone she comes in contact with. I have no doubt she will embrace this opportunity with his recognized enthusiasm and have a major impact on the San Jose State Athletics.”
Terry Fowler, head coach of women’s basketball at University of Southern Alabama
“San Jose State University has hired an amazing person, colleague, designer and brand ambassador for their university! Megan has taken our brand in South to new heights during her time here and I’m confident that she will do the same there!Megan’s Pulse for FanEngagement,game day experience and college branding are elite.She is an excellent communicator and knows how to connect with student-athletes. Megan will improve the entire athletic department at San Jose State University!”
Jeff Kupper, director of player development and football operations at state of florida
“I can’t say enough about the quality of someone like Megan MacLeod. Her effort and passion for her work is matched only by the camaraderie and admiration she creates with her colleagues and stakeholders everywhere she has gone. I can’t think of anyone who has been as dedicated to serving others as her. She’s a real bright spot in more ways than I can list.”
Daniel McCarthy, assistant athletic director at University of Southern Alabama
“Megan came to the University of South Alabama during an exciting time of growth and transition. Her vast background and experience in marketing and fan engagement has been critical to our success in opening new “a new football stadium on campus. It also brought much needed brand consistency across all of our outward-facing platforms and put us in a position to capitalize on the momentum.”
Adam Schemm, senior associate director of athletics – external relations at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
“Megan is a top sports administrator, a true marketer and an even better person. She knows what success looks like from a marketing and fan engagement perspective and how it’s accomplished. Megan has done her track record of increasing attendance, growing students participating in the chapter and creating an elite experience for fans Her acumen and fundamentals as a teacher and leader in the field of online marketing “College athletics are at the next level. This will be one of the best hires in the athletics administration this year.”