Swindon Town 1-0 Colchester United

By Barrie Hudson – October 17, 2022


A lucky goal from Tyrese Shade in the 64th minute put Swindon back to winning ways as they came within a point of the play-offs.

The substitute’s strike was enough to split the two teams in what went without incident in the fall.

Swindon came into the game to redeem themselves from their previous 2-0 defeat at Stevenage. Colchester, meanwhile, picked up their first victory under new gaffer Matt Bloomfield the previous weekend. Bloomfield took the helm in late September after The Us got off to a less than ideal start to the campaign.

Swindon would name the same eleven to the one who fell to defeat at Stevenage last time out. With Colchester languishing at the bottom of the table, all signs pointed to a home win at The County Ground. However, the visitors had become Swindon’s bogey side of late, with Town failing to win in their last six encounters.

The hosts got off to a good start in the proceedings as a brilliant pass earned them their second corner in six minutes. From the resulting corner, the Robins thought they had taken the lead after Frazer Blake-Tracey fired a header home.

However, the goal was ruled out by referee Andy Haines for a construction foul. A few minutes later, Welsh international Jonny Williams had a deflected shot from another corner.

Swindon had certainly had more intensity in the opening stages than in previous weeks. And at 18 minutes, they should have had the reward for their good start. A delicious ball from Jonny Williams on the back line found the run from Luke Jephcott.

Inside the penalty area, one-on-one with the keeper, Town’s talisman controlled the ball only to fire his half-volley at the keeper. A moment later Ronan Darcy launched his effort from wide into the Town End after a short turn.

However, after an impressive start, the first half slowly turned into a lackluster affair. The half-time whistle soon sounded with little action to report.

The first notable opportunity in the second 45 was Colchester’s first in the game. After substitute Ricky Aguiar was set deep in the Colchester half, Frank Nouble received the ball down the wing. After having Mathieu Baudry sit down, the well-traveled striker worked his way into the box to fire an effort over the bar.

Three minutes later, that missed opportunity would become rather costly. Tom Clayton halfway played a ball into Jephcott, who, with his back to goal, spun around and found Jonny Williams in acres of space on the right wing. The Welshman then fizzled the ball across the face of the goal where Tyrese Shade stretched a leg and watched the ball race into the net. The goal was Shade’s second of the season.

Just after 70 minutes, Colchester found themselves three against two on the counterattack. However, Al-Amin Kazeem’s dangerous ball from the left flank was well intercepted by Aguiar. In the 83rd minute, Ellis Iandolo was denied a low left-footed effort. Then, with two minutes remaining, Alex Newby’s long-range free-kick sailed comfortably into Sol Brynn’s gloves.

With that, Town saw off the game to win 1-0 and move into eighth place.

Although Swindon got the result, it must be mentioned that their performance was average at best. Against a mediocre defensive unit, they created very few clean chances. Sometimes it felt like visitors would return to Essex with an easy point.

Comments are closed.